Please disable your adblock and script blockers to view this page

Sep 18, 2018

Firefighters Issue Warning About The One Place You Should Never, Ever Charge Your Phone

Everyone loves and appreciates technology. We use it everyday, we rely on it everyday. However, when the things we use everyday go wrong, it can become a problem. For example, you remember the cell phone battery explosions that caused a global recall of the product? That was a pretty dire situation but not the ideal situation for the many people who like to keep their phones within a fingertip’s reach.
We all know it’s not the healthiest habit to stay glued to your cell phone at bedtime. But there’s another downside to that habit besides disrupted sleep cycles. As we stay up in bed (and fall asleep) to play games, send texts, listen to music, or use a phone’s alarm clock, we could be taking a risk.

Many of us charge our phones overnight, which causes the battery or charger to heat up. That heat is a fire hazard.
The Newton, New Hampshire Fire Department recently posted a PSA on their Facebook about the danger of sleeping with a charging device. If you or someone you know has a habit of snuggling up with their phone or tablet overnight, they need to know about this.
The announcement was accompanied by pictures of scorched sheets, which really show how dangerous leaving your phone in bed to charge can be. It can even generate enough heat to start a fire! Here’s what the fire department wrote:
“Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow. This is can be extremely dangerous. The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter.”
The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire. This places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger. Please check where you & your family charge your mobile devices.
Besides the danger of batteries overheating on flammable surfaces, the actual charger itself can also overheat and catch fire. This risk is especially prevalent with chargers that show signs of fraying and/or are incompatible with the device they’re being used on.

Newton NH Fire Department
The biggest culprits are cheap, aftermarket chargers, so be sure that the charger you buy is high quality and has a compatible wattage with the devices you want to use it on.
The photos above are being shared by fire departments around the world in order to promote awareness. After responding to a house fire caused by an overheated battery/charger, an Alabama fire department shared the following tips:
– To reduce the chances of being burned if your device overheats or catches fire, don’t use it while it’s charging
– Do not leave a charging device on soft surfaces like a sofa or bed
– Replace accessories or other parts that have excessive wear – batteries, cords, etc. – because they can spark and cause a fire.
– Because we have so many more electronic devices in our bedrooms these days, taking extra precautions to prevent fires is necessary. Spread the word about charging phones in bed to your children, teens, and college kids to keep them safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment